Monday 14 November 2011

Ideas from existing trailers for inspiration for my own


What I really like about this trailer is the way music and sounds are used. Although not a lot of speech is used, I think enough is used to give a general overview of the film without giving away TOO much detail (obviously this is what a trailer should do). I really like how the background music begins quite minimal and isn't very noticeable behind the voice overs, but soon becomes louder and is obviously the main focus in regards to sound. I also like how there is a huge climax and the music becomes more dramatic, with a lot more tension and volume, and then as soon as the glass smashes (2:02), the whole thing just stops, the music dies down straight away but the trailer is not over. I think that the way the glass smashing and the end of the dramatic co inside with each other is very effective and something I may consider doing in my own trailer.


What I like about this trailer is the way it looks as though the whole thing is recorded using a handheld camera. Although, since Paranormal Activity 1, using a handheld camera has become very common in horror, I still think its very scary because it looks so realistic, and has the added horror of making the whole thing feel real. So, although there is no particular part of the trailer I find particularly more/less interesting, I think the way it's actually filmed to be the most scary thing (especially the way that the date is still in the bottom right corner of the screen to make it feel a lot more like a home video).


What I find so scary about this particular isn't to do with sound or the way it is filmed, but the actual plot line itself. Obviously this film is about exorcism, and that on its own is, in my eyes, a very scary topic. But it's more than that, I think that because this film is based on religion, people would take to the film in very different ways. If someone is a Christian, I'm sure they'd find this film a lot scarier then someone who was an atheist - obviously because for a Christian, this film trailer would be very believeable because they believe that these kind of things are true (The famous film "The exocorism of Emily Rose" even says it's based on a true story). I think that also, the fact that at 0:33 a sentence appears saying "If you believe in God, you must believe in the devil" is very effective. However, even if you werent a Christian, you'd still find this film scary, but not for the actual possesion itself, but for the things that happen because of this. I think the main thing I like about it though is the way it has the power to frighten people in different ways. Another thing I like about the topic of religion is the contraversy around it.

1 comment:

  1. A good, clear explanation of the elements you find effective. Does the last one (The Last Exorcism)also contain effective visual/technical conventions, or is it purely the plot?

    ReplyDelete